Saturday, November 20, 2010

Alaska Day 1 - Vancouver



Twilight, Strait of Georgia, British Columbia, originally uploaded by jsevier14.

The first day of a cruise is mainly about getting you and your stuff to the boat on time, getting there, then getting a lecture about the difference between a “boat” and a “ship.” Whoops. Boats are much smaller than ships. Got it.


So, some absurdly early time on a Saturday morning came, like 5am or something… My early ambition for this day was simply to engineer as quickly as possible the cramming of two weeks worth of four people’s stuff into the trunk of my Aunt Sharon’s car so I could get into the backseat and take a nap. By 8am we were on our way to Minneapolis, where we’d connect and head on to Vancouver, B.C., which is in Canada so we had to go through Canadian customs. Customs means long lines, answering silly questions about fresh produce and firearms, then another long line, this time for U.S. customs because see the next time you set foot on dry land it will be back in the U.S. So let me get this straight… You get off the plane, go through Canadian customs, then you get on a bus, and then go through U.S. customs. Why couldn’t we just board in Seattle?


And so there we were, on the bus when we turned a corner and caught a full view of this massive ship, the Sapphire Princess. And my thought was “wow, that’s a big boat.” I mean it’s like a 95 story building (951 feet long) floating in water on it’s side. And so after the second trip though customs then yet another line for ticketing, we were on the ship, hanging out in one of the rooms waiting for the launch, which was, well, like a ship pulling out of port. When the announcement came I grabbed the rig and headed up to the top deck with Missy and her mother, where like any good obsessive amateur photographer, I immediately started shooting. After shove off and a mildly enthusiastic response from the big crowd, we were sailing through the Burrard Inlet, barely making it under the Lion’s Gate Bridge, which caused me to wonder what they do if the tide goes up… But we made it underneath the bridge, and sailed off into the Strait of Georgia, headed North to Alaska.





After the launch, we went and grabbed some chow, and that was about it for the ladies. By this time it’s almost 8pm, and Missy’s mom only had to announce that it was really more like 11pm to them before the yawning began. Not me, no way. I don’t go to bed that early even when I am sick.


So I grabbed the gear again, wished everyone a good night, and headed forward to the very front of the ship. The sky looked ready to give us a show and several people with big cameras and giant lenses were holed up alongside the running track, which was protected from the wind by panes of not quite clear enough smoked glass. I met a guy there from LA and after a few shots I invited him out front into the elements with me, which was immediately rejected by his wife. He stayed behind, and I compensated for my lens envy by being the only shooter outside. July or not, the Strait of Georgia at sunset, forward on a ship, is cold. But, I staked my spot bracing my body against the rail for handheld shots of the stunning deep yellow sunset, which finally gave way to brilliant twilight about 9:30 in the evening. That was 12:30am the next day to me.


Go see Alaska Day 1 - Vancouver here...


(Remember, I am only posting my top 14 images from each day until I get through Day 12. After that, I'll do a set just for panoramas, then I'll complete the rest of the sets.) http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffsevier/5191962611/in/set-72157625306077905/lightbox/

No comments: