Saturday, June 26, 2010

Another home season ends, a road season begins...


CRG062010_Lambs_0422.jpg, originally uploaded by jsevier14.

This blog entry comes to you from a hotel room in Atlanta a week after my latest set was made. Jason and I have gotten into a good pattern of producing our pictures within a week of the bouts. With Jase now officially on hiatus and me being the Photo Monkey of record for the next three months, which started less than a week after the end of the home season, I had to get this set done more quickly than I've been getting them done, so I had to rush a little. With father's day and Missy coming home Wednesday from a week on the road of her own, it was a bit of a rush. And I've been having ridiculous performance crap with the Lightroom beta I've been using, which, I am sorta almost happy to say have been sorta almost resolved in the actual GA release. If you don't care about the details, skip to the next paragraph. For the two of you who do, the problem with Lr3 is it seems to be choking on its metadata searching. It's better in the non-beta but, it's really interfering with my ability to edit 3500 pictures in less than a week.

Derby photogs vary wildly in their bout production results. Some of the actual pro-guys who do photography otherwise have their work down with assistants in the stands and they pump out work almost immediately. They shoot, they pick a couple dozen images, they're done. What Jase and I are doing is meant to be more thorough than a simple news-shot, although on the team we consider ourselves journalists. Not in the sense that we a producing news, but more in the sense that we're archiving for the long term what these incredible women are doing.

So I got my set done Thursday, which is completely unusual because I actually beat Jason to post. That NEVER happens but, hey, here they are...

The Sheep won their bout handiliy. The day after the bout my Roy Hobbs coach asked me how it went, and my response was and I quote "It was a professional but kicking." Which, it was.

The Lambs I am sorry to say, despite Wheezy's attempts at human flight shown above (check out the Demoltion City girl finding the floor with both knees in the background... This is for me one of the grails... Catch a rollergirl in mid air and you've got something... Anyway, the Lambs didn't fare so well, sad to say...

These blog posts are not meant to be bout recaps. In it's best form, I intend this to be more a journal of my experieces with this Derby team. Because of the way I shoot though, I don't always know everything that's going on from moment to moment like I would say, a football game. Jason's better at that, but even better than that even is Lauren, or Miss Print.

If you want the best rundown of the action, check out her blog. She's a gifted writer and her blog is definitely worth following if you want to feel Derby from the eyes of someone who's on the inside.

No comments: