Monday, July 5, 2010

On the road to Atlanta


CRG062610_Sheep_2137.jpg, originally uploaded by jsevier14. The team celebrates a comeback win. In the middle of the euphoria a relieved Trauma has her hand to her face, and Cherry is midair jumping for joy.

When I first started shooting Derby generally except for the score I didn't really know what was going on in the bout I was working. I was so engrossed in the composition I usually had to look up at the scoreboard to at least see if we were winning the game or not. I did this with music too. I couldn't tell you what song was being played, I was just busily shooting faces, expressions, instruments... The same with Derby. Faces, expressions, plays, equipment... I've gotten much better about knowing what's going on as I've gotten to know the sport.

About last Saturday's trip to Atlanta... Although I've gotten better, I can't really do a decent recap. I'll leave it to Miss Print for that... I can say this much. The Lambs had an easy time of it. The Sheep did too, most of their game, but by the last 5 minutes what looked to be a rout devolved into an epic struggle with an ending that was fit for the next Derby movie. It was as tense a Derby experience as I've had, and from what I've heard from the team's players they were feeling it too. So intense it was, my heart was racing even as I worked the pictures from the last two jams, the first of which the lead was taken from CRG, only to have them come right back in the last jam and win the game. By the end, all was well, the rightful winners prevailed. As the jam and the game ended I sprinted from my spot in turn two all the way to the other end of the track where the celebration was well underway (shown above).

See the Lambs shoot here...

See the Sheep shoot here...

No comments: